When instructors become concerned about a student (poor attendance, missing assignments, poor performance on quizzes/tests, or other concerns), they may submit an academic alert through MU Online. A copy of the academic alert is sent to the student, the advisor and the instructor.
Students receiving an academic alert will be notified through their MU email account. Students receiving an academic alert should:
- Go to the Student Records portion of their MU Online account and view the details of the alert.
- Devise a strategy for addressing the issue.
- When necessary, ask the instructor for clarification of the concern and for his or her suggestions in addressing the issue.
- When necessary, consult with an academic advisor about strategies and options.
- Contact the Office of Student Success with further questions or additional assistance.
Students receiving an academic alert should understand that alerts are meant to draw attention to potential problems, NOT to serve as a form of "punishment". Academic alerts are NOT part of a student's permanent record and do NOT affect a student's academic standing with the university.