Millikin Home
Big Blue RSS
Millikin University - Decatur, IL
International Travel 
Millikin University > Public Safety > International Travel

If you are sick with symptoms of influenza-like illness, you should not travel. These symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills, and fatigue. A significant number of people who have been infected with this virus also have reported diarrhea and vomiting.

If you travel internationally from the United States, you may be asked to:
·  Pass through a scanning device that checks your temperature. (The device may look like an airport metal detector, a camera, or a handheld device.)
·  Have your temperature taken with an oral or ear thermometer
· Fill out a sheet of questions about your health
· Review information about the symptoms of novel H1N1 flu
· Give your address, phone number, and other contact information
· Be quarantined for a period of time if a passenger on your flight is found to have symptoms of novel H1N1 flu
· Contact health authorities in the country you are visiting to let them know if you become ill

If you have a fever or respiratory symptoms or are suspected to have novel H1N1 flu based on screening, you may be asked to:
· Be isolated from other people until you are well
· Have a medical examination
·Take a rapid flu test (which consists of a nasal swab sample)· Be hospitalized and given medical treatment, if you test positive for novel H1N1 flu

Please note that the U.S. Department of State usually cannot interfere with the rights of other countries to screen airline passengers entering or exiting their countries, nor can it influence the number of days in quarantine.

Because these outbreak-related delays, which could include several days of quarantine, may affect planned activities and lead to unexpected costs, CDC strongly recommends that travelers consider purchasing travel insurance.

Consult the embassy of the country, or countries, in your travel itinerary for information about entry screening procedures (see Websites of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions for contact information).



Millikin University - Decatur, IL
Millikin University - Decatur, IL