Quicklinks
myMILLIKIN |
Search
Millikin Home
Big Blue RSS
Millikin University - Decatur, IL
Chronology 

This chronology is a work in progress. Additional information and links will be continually added.

1827 ?

James Millikin is born August 2, in Ten Mile, Pennsylvania, the son of Abel & Nancy Van Dyke Millikin.

1834

Amos Robinson purchases a forty- acre tract of land near Decatur that includes the present campus, May.

1840s?

James Millikin herds cattle and sheep to western Indiana and eastern Illinois, in the area of Danville. He attends Washington (now Washington & Jefferson) College in Pennsylvania and Wabash College in Crawfordsville, IN.

1857

James Millikin marries Anna Bernice Aston, daughter of Rev. Samuel and Hetty Bartlett Aston, a Presbyterian minister on January 1.

1861-1865

An encampment, with drill grounds and barracks are located on the present campus site.

1865

The Cumberland Presbyterian Church establishes Lincoln University at Lincoln, Illinois.

1866

Lincoln University opens for classes, November 5.

1874

James Millikin purchases a 16 acre tract, an area called Oakland Park, the site of the present campus.

1899

Rev. A.W. Hawkins, pastor of Cumberland Presbyterian Church proposes removal of Lincoln University to Decatur. His publicized proposal elicits no response.

1900

James Millikin announces his intention to transfer Lincoln University to Decatur, with financial support through the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the City of Decatur in May.

1901

James Millikin and the Synod of Illinois for the Cumberland Presbyterian Church agree not to transfer Lincoln University to Decatur, October.

 

State legislature enacted to permit alteration of Lincoln University's charter.

 

Amended charter of Lincoln University is adopted, establishing the James Millikin University, April 30.

 

Albert Reynolds Taylor accepts the presidency of the new university.

 

The three governing boards for the new university are constituted.

 

Board of Managers of the new Decatur College and Industrial School of the James Millikin University is organized.

 

Oakland Park is chosen as university site, October.

 

President Taylor presents curriculum outline, September 19.

 

Board of Managers selects architect firm of Patton & Miller of Chicago for the Decatur College & Industrial School.

1902

Patton & Miller, architects submit final revision of plans for Shilling Hall

 

First construction contracts are released.

 

Cornerstone is laid for Shilling Hall, June 12. (see exhibit)

 

Contracts let for power house and machine shop, September 29.

1903

U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt formally dedicates the Decatur College and Industrial School of the James Millikin University, June 4.

 

The Decatur College and Industrial School opens for classes, September 15.

 

Millikin athletics organized, September 16.

 

The Decaturian is published for the first time. It is a monthly periodical.

 

Rah for the J M U! the first Millikin song, appears anonymously in Decaturian, November.

1904

First game between Millikin and Illinois Wesleyan.

 

Local fraternity Kappa Delta Chi is established, April.

 

Local sorority Chi Sigma Phi is established, October.

 

First commencement of the Decatur College and Industrial School is held, with one undergraduate, June 7. (see exhibit)

1905

The Federation of Illinois Colleges is organized on the campus, Jan. 14.

1906

The Millidek, the college annual is first published. The merger of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. is consummated. (see exhibit)

 

Work begins for erection of Women's Hall. (see exhibit)

1907

First class to complete four years of instruction at the Decatur College and Industrial School graduates. Women's Hall is opened for occupancy.

1908

The Illinois Academy of Science was organized, largely at the initiative of President Taylor and John Charles Hessler, chemistry professor.

1909

James Millikin dies in Orlando, Florida, March 2.

 

Beta chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon established.

 

University charter is amended in accordance with Millikin's will.

1910

James Millikin Estate announces its plans to erect a conservatory and gymnasium building. The first student council is organized for limited student government, May 10.

1911

Engineering curriculum is reduced to two years.

 

U.S. President William Taft visits campus, February.

1912

The gymnasium and conservatory are opened for use.

1913

President Taylor resigns, effective July 1.

 

George Emory Fellows begins his duties as 2nd president.

 

School of Pedagogy changed to School of Education.

 

Anna Millikin dies, bequeathing her residence to serve as an Art Institute, July 29.

 

Conservatory of Music is dedicated, November 6.

 

President Fellows is formally inaugurated, December 9.

1914

Controversy erupts over President Fellows.

 

Accreditation is granted by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

1915

President Fellows vacates his office and Albert Reynolds Taylor arrives for a second term. The first fall homecoming is held, November 12-13, an annual tradition.

1916

Gift of Hobart Williams establishes the Williams Fund.

1917

Millikin Estate trustees announce its challenge to raise $1,000,000 for the university in five years.

1918

The Student Army Training Corps is organized in October. (see exhibit)

1919

President Taylor resigns for second time, effective June 30. John Charles Hessler named acting president. Tuition raised to $100 a year.

1920

Louis Edward Holden assumes the presidency.

 

Millikin Academy closes.

 

Tuition increases to $150 a year.

1921

Decaturian becomes a weekly newspaper.

1922

Graduate instruction and degrees were terminated.

1923

The English Club establishes the "Elizabethan Study."

1924

Students strike over firing of two professors "The Casey Incident," May 5-13. Former president Albert Taylor resumes duties for a third and final time

 

Mark Embury Penney is elected president, assuming his duties in August.

1926

Mark Embury Penney is formally inaugurated as president.

 

Millikin celebrates its quarter -centennial, April 29-May 1.

1927

School of Education becomes the Department of Education, November 2.

1928

First night football game in the state of Illinois is played at Millikin field, against Illinois College, November 2.

1929

Former president Albert Taylor dies, August 12.

1930

President Penney resigns, effective June 30.

 

Jesse Hayes White assumes the presidency.

 

Ground is broken for Orville B. Gorin Library, November 5.

1931

Millikin is recognized as a "Class A" college by the University of Illinois.

 

Cornerstone of Gorin Library is laid, April 17. (see exhibit)

 

Orville B. Gorin Library is formally dedicated November 20 and opened for use following thanksgiving recess.

1934

President Jesse Hayes White resigns. John Charles Hessler, former chemistry professor, assumes the presidency, September.

1935

"The Millikin Plan" of education was formulated and begun.

1936

Unconditional accreditation granted by the North Central Association and the National Association of Schools of Music to the Millikin School of Music. Evening Classes are instituted.

1937

The first "Queen" of the annual homecoming celebration is elected by students.

1939

Redecorated auditorium was dedicated and named Albert Taylor Hall, Octoer 28. (see exhibit)

1941

Millikin was recognized by the Association of American Universities, and by the American Association of University Women.

1942

The Trustees of the James Millikin estate convey the former Millikin residence to the university.

1943

Cadets of the Army Air Corps arrive. (see exhibit)

 

Campaign for funds to erect a science building is begun.

1944

Army Air Corp cadets leave the campus.

 

President Hessler dies in office, July 29. Clarence Lee Miller, Dean of the University, is named acting president.

 

The Scovill Trust is announced, November 27.

1945

Office of Veterans' Counselor is created.

1946

J. Walter Malone assumes the Presidency of the college, formally inaugurated May 3.

 

Veterans arrive on campus.

 

"Campus City" and "Trailer City" are constructed and "Mafair Hall" is purchased and put to use.

 

Initial campaign for science building construction is completed.

1947

Graduate work in music is instituted, fully accredited. "Fairview Hall" is purchased and put to use.

1948

"Lincoln at Twenty-One" sculpture by Fred Torrey is formally dedicated, October 24.

1949

Major in Education is added to curriculum.

1950

Graduate work in education is instituted, fully accredited.

1952

Hearings before Judge of the Circuit Court Martin E. Morthland are concluded, followed by judicial decrees permitting dissolution of the connection between Lincoln College and the Decatur College & Industrial School, in accord with legislative action.

 

Millikin celebrates its "Golden Jubilee," the fiftieth year of class instruction.

 

John Brcin's statue of Stephen Decatur is placed on the grounds of the Art Institute.

 

The campaign for additional funds to meet increased costs of construction of the science building was launched and completed.

1953

Contracts were let for construction of the science building. Ground was broken for the new science building, May 24.

 

Board of Trustees deliberate on separation of the two colleges.

 

Secretary of State of Illinois issues new charter of "Millikin University" as legal successor to the Decatur College and Industrial School of the James Millikin University, July 23.

 

University celebrates its semi-centennial.

 

Courses by television are inaugurated, Millikin being first in the state of Illinois to offer courses via the new medium.

1954

First Scovill Prizes awarded.

1955

Scovill Science Hall is opened for use.

 

"Tree planting Day" on campus, November 28.

1956

President J. Walter Malone announces his retirement. C.L. Miller serves as acting president for second time.

 

Television courses for credit are broadcast over WCIA in Champaign.

1957

Paul Leonard McKay is elected president. Formal installation of President McKay held on October 17. Malone Chapel is dedicated, November 10.

1958

Board of Managers is eliminated, restructuring the university's governing boards into a larger Board of Trustees.

 

First "Parents' Day", combining previous "Mom'" and "Dads'" Days, is observed, October 18.

 

President Paul McKay reveals his "Design for Excellence" to the public, April 27.

 

Ground broken for the men's residence hall and student union (University Center) by Eugenia Allin and Albert Taylor Mills, members of the first faculty, May 31.

1960

Men's Residence Hall (later named Mills Hall) and University Center are occupied.

1961

Walker Hall for women was completed.

1962

Interior of Aston Hall is completely remodeled and refurbished.

 

Last residents of World War II era barracks leave, August.

 

Albert Taylor Mills, first professor of history at Millikin, dies December 17.

1964

A new home for the Anna B. Millikin Home for Women is built in Greenwood urban renewal area, and the old Anna Millikin Home is turned over to the university.

1965

Blackburn Hall is occupied. Millikin is a charter member of the Central States College Association.

1966

$12.5 million campaign is announced with $3 million earmarked for construction of fine arts center and physical education center

1967

Hessler Hall for men is dedicated and Men's Residence Hall is formally christened "Mills Hall" at Homecoming.

 

Announcement that graduate programs in music and education would be phased out by August 1973.

 

A Human Relations Commission was established, and a new group for minority students, For Soul Only, is established. (see exhibit)

 

Collage, a literary publication, appears as a supplement to the Decaturian.

1969

The Decatur Art Institute is dissolved. The 100,000th book is accession in the library.

1970

Kirkland Fine Arts Center and Griswold Physical Education Center are completed, dedicated and put to use.

 

Former Anna Millikin Home burns, and is later torn down.

 

President McKay dies, February. J. Roger Miller, former Dean of School of Music and Administrative Assistant to the President, is named as McKay's successor.

 

The first "winter term" of coursework is held, January.

 

Interdepartmental Major is introduced.

 

WJMU begins radio broadcast.

1975

"Design For Excellence" campaign is launched for capital improvements, including a new Library building and renovations and additions to the University Center.

1976

Construction begins on the Staley Library. (see exhibit)

 

School of Nursing is established.

1978

Staley Library is completed, dedicated, and occupied.

1979

Renovations of University Center completed, Richards Treat University Center opened.

1981

Commercial Music major is added.

 

Birks Museum is dedicated and opened.

 

Tabor School of Business is dedicated

 

Winter Term is abolished.

 

"New Horizons" campaign is announced, including renovations to Liberal Arts Hall.

1984

U.S. President Ronald Reagan visits campus for agribusiness conference, August

 

Mueller Computer Center is opened.

1985

Writing Major is added to curriculum.

 

The athletic field is dedicated and named Frank M. Lindsey Field.

1986

Renovations begin on Liberal Arts Hall.

 

Engineering department to be phased out by 1990.

1987

U.S. News & World Report places Millikin 8th in Best Small Colleges.

 

First two of four new residence halls begin construction.

1988

Fitness & Wellness Center opens. Renovations completed on Liberal Arts Hall.

1990

Second set of residence halls are constructed and completed.

 

Computers replace card catalog at Staley Library.

1991

J. Roger Miller announces his retirement, effective July 1.

 

John Miltner becomes Millikin's president, July 1.

1992

Formal Inauguration of Miltner, March.

 

President Miltner dies, September 8. Robert Shimp, provost, is named acting president.

1993

Dr. Curtis McCray is named as president.

1995

Ground is broken for Oakland Hall, incorporating student housing and retail, including the bookstore and coffee shop.

1996

"Advancing the Vision," a capital campaign for $75 million, the largest in university history, is announced.

 

Construction begins on the university's first free-standing religious structure, Pilling Chapel.

 

Oakland Hall completed, occupied.

 

The Woods at Millikin apartments complex begins construction.

1997

The Woods at Millikin is dedicated.

 

Renovations to Frank M. Lindsey Field begins.

 

Pilling Chapel is finished and opened for use.

 

Big Bronze Man on Campus, by Sewell Johnson, is placed on campus.

 

School of Music renovations begin, with school of music classes moved to Hessler Hall temporarily.

 

President McCray resigns. Provost Thomas Flynn named acting president. Thomas Flynn is named president in December.

1999

Thomas Flynn is formally inaugurated as 12th President, September.

 

Construction begins on new science building, October.

 

Construction begins on Decatur Indoor Sports Center, a joint-use facility between Millikin University and the Decatur Park District.

2000

Perkinson Music Center, named for C.D. "Perk" and Pat Perkinson, is dedicated. (see exhibit)

 

Decatur Indoor Sports Center opens on October 2.

 

Frank M. Lindsay Field receives a new press box, thanks to a  $800,000 gift from F. Merrill and Margery "Sis" Lindsay in the late fall.

 

First winter commencement ceremony held in Westminster Presbyterian Church in December.

2001

The Gala Premiere of the centennial celebration is held, May 19.

 

Leighty-Tabor Science Center, a $16 million project, is completed in October.

2002

Classes are held in Leighty-Tabor Science Center for the first time in the spring.

 

President Flynn announces a new theater/arts building will be built.

 

President Thomas Flynn resigns Sept. 16.  R. John Reynolds is named acting president the same day. 

2003

President R. John Reynolds steps down as President on June 30th.  Douglas Zemke is named president July 1st.

   

 

This page created Oct. 3, 2001
Last modified: July 14, 2008
Copyright: Millikin University Board of Trustee
s

 
 
Millikin University - Decatur, IL
 
Millikin University - Decatur, IL
Guest