Gain Hands-on Experience from Internship Opportunities such as:
If you don't see a company you are interested in completing an an
internship with, contact Melinda Rueter.
The procedure to pursue a credited internship should be as follows:
- You must be a student of junior standing with a 2.5 Overall GPA.
- Students should discuss the possibility of an internship with their advisor to make sure there is room in their schedule during the appropriate semester and that they will not overload causing additional tuition charges.
- Students should plan to complete internships in semesters (or summer) where consistent blocks of time can be dedicated to the internship. This allows for ease in developing a regular schedule with the internship location that benefits both the student and the organization.
- Students graduating with a degree in Communication MUST complete three credits of internship. Students CAN complete up to six credits of internship.
- After discussing the internship with their advisor, students should schedule a meeting with Melinda Rueter, internship coordinator.
- Internship credit is calculated as follow: 40 hours of work= 1 credit hour. Therefore, to earn 3 credit hours, you must complete 120 hours of work.
Upon deciding on an internship the following paperwork will need to be completed:
- Individual Study Contract- This needs to be signed by coordinator, advisor, chair and dean and given to the registrar's office. This document registers you for the internship to receive credit
- Accompanying syllabus
Once the internship is completed the student will be responsible for the following:
- A log of hours completed, signed by site supervisor
- A 3-4 page paper detailing the internship experience.
- Students evaluation form of internship
- Any pertinent portfolios or examples of work
- Supervisor Evaluation Form