Test Required for Admission into the School of Education
Anyone seeking an Illinois teaching certificate/license is required to complete one of three tests in order to be admitted into an approved teacher education program. Students in Millikin's PACE Program must receive a passing score on one of the following tests prior to beginning in an education cohort. (See your academic advisor to help determine your plan of study and when you are required to pass appropriate tests.) Millikin's School of Education currently recommends that students take the ACT Plus Writing test.
- Receive a composite score of at least 22 on the ACT Plus Writing
- Receive a composite score of at least 1030 on the SAT
- Successfully pass all four areas of the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)
Already passed a test? All test scores, including the Basic Skills (096 and 300), ACT Plus Writing, SAT, and Test of Academic Proficiency are good for 10 years.
Why take the ACT Plus Writing instead of the TAP?
- The TAP is more expensive.
- Once you have taken the TAP five times without receiving an overall passing score, you will no longer be able to receive teaching certification in Illinois.
- The TAP does not use a composite score.
- The TAP does not allow use of a calculator.
ACT Plus Writing Information:
- You may attempt the ACT Plus Writing as many as 12 times.
- A composite score means an average of all sections will be used to create the overall (composite) score. (There is no minimum score requirement on any specific area of the test.)
- Millikin University is a testing center for the ACT Plus Writing test.
- Calculators are permissible for use during the Mathematics section.
- Millikin's school code is 1080.
- Additional information, including test dates, registration deadlines, test fees, and additional testing centers can be found on the ACT website (www.actstudent.org).
Submitting ACT Plus Writing or SAT Test Scores:
- For the ACT Plus Writing: include Millikin's institution code (1080) and the Illinois State Board of Education institution code (3001) to submit your scores on your test score report. (If this is not done at the time of the test, you may request that an official score report be sent to Millikin University and/or ISBE for an additional fee.) For the SAT: include Millikin's institution code (1470). (If this is not done at the time of the test, you may request that an official score report be sent to Millikin University for an additional fee.) ISBE does not currently have a code for the SAT. Request that SAT send an official score to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Certification, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777.
- Complete ISBE form 73-60. This form requires a signature from the licensure officer, Rebecca Massey, in Millikin's School of Education. You may drop this form off in the PACE office or the School of Education. You will be contacted when it is signed and ready for you to pick up.
- Submit ISBE form 73-60 to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Certification, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777.
Additional information on the Test of Academic Proficiency can be found here.
Questions? Contact your academic advisor or the School of Education (217.424.6244) for up-to-date information.