9/18/2012 9:30 AM
The world outside the "Milli-bubble" continues to recognize Millikin as a great institution of higher learning. In addition to last month's selection by Forbes magazine as one of "America's Best Colleges 2012," recent accolades include:
- MU is listed as one of the Midwest's best colleges in The Princeton Review's 2013 college selection guide. The guide also recommends Millikin as one of the "Best in the Midwest" on PrincetonReview.com.
- U.S. News & World Report's 2013 edition of "America's Best Colleges" ranked Millikin as the No. 8 Regional College in the Midwest. Millikin was also included in a list of select schools from across the country designated as "A-Plus Schools for B Students."
- Millikin has been named a 2013 Military Friendly School. The list honors the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools doing the most to embrace America's military service members, veterans and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus.
9/18/2012 8:37 AM
Dave Brandon has been named interim vice president for the alumni and development office following the recent resignation of Peggy Smith Luy ’75, long-time A&D vice president. Brandon joined Millikin in 1997 as the director of development.
Luy resigned to accept the position of executive vice president for advancement at Davenport University in Grand Rapids, Mich. A national search will be conducted for her replacement.
9/18/2012 7:30 AM
Former U.S. Congressmen Jack Buechner (R-Mo.) and William Roy (D-Kan.) will speak on campus this fall about the impact of this year’s presidential election through the Congress to Campus program.
The event is made possible by the Thomas W. Ewing Lectureship, and is set for Tuesday, Oct. 23, at 7:30 p.m. in Richards Treat University Center. The event is free and open to the public; for more info, call 217-424-6383.
9/18/2012 6:30 AM
During halftime at the Sept. 22 football game, spring graduates Kelsy England, formerly of Highland, Ill., and Brittany Sherron, formerly of Rockville, Ind., will be presented with the Lindsay Medallion to recognize their athletic achievements.
The Lindsay Medallion, named in honor of the late F. Merrill Lindsay, trustee emeritus, and his late wife, “Sis” Lindsay, traditionally honors two student-athletes each year.
England will be recognized for her volleyball skills; Sherron for her expertise in track and field. The event falls during Fall Family Weekend for students and their families.
9/18/2012 5:32 AM
Help WJMU celebrate 40 years of broadcasting! Stop by the open house from 9:30 a.m. to noon, Sat., Oct. 6, in the Jimm Seaney Studio on the lower level of Richards Treat University Center. Meet former WJMU directors, DJs and others who were instrumental in the history of Millikin’s radio station. From 9:30 - 10:30 a.m., former DJs can contribute to the oral history of the station by recording a liner promo or a station ID. Then from 11 a.m. to noon, alumni can have the chance to share their personal WJMU experiences in on-air interviews.
Browse the complete schedule of Homecoming events.
9/18/2012 4:30 AM
A portion of the tickets sales from an Oct. 20 performance of Stephen Sondheim’s “Assassins” in Chicago will help support the endeavor to build a new Center for Theatre & Dance on Millikin’s campus. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. at the Viaduct Theater, 3111 N. Western Avenue.
The Assassins Production Company is led by Billy Pacholski ’00 as executive producer and artistic director, and also features Libby Lane ’99 in the role of Sara Jane Moore and Chris Tuttle ’10 as costume designer. In addition, Leah Jones ’99 will host a 5:30 p.m. pre-show reception at her home for Millikin folks attending the event. It will feature a special cabaret performance by Lane. Location provided upon purchase of ticket.
Ticket costs for the performance available through the “Assassins” website
- $45 per person for performance only.
- $75 for both a ticket and the pre-show reception.
- $10 for current MU students, faculty and staff for ticket and pre-show reception. Enter the coupon code “muellerhall.” Appropriate MU identification will be required at the box office to pick up the student/staff tickets.
For more info, visit assassins-chicago.com.
9/18/2012 3:30 AM
Millikin has a Facebook page and LinkedIn group for alumni. “Like” Millikin Alumni on Facebook, and visit our page often for timely Millikin-related information, photos, videos and more.
And if you’re looking for professional networking opportunities with more than 2,000 alumni and friends, join the Millikin group on LinkedIn.
9/18/2012 2:29 AM
- LaVon Fisher-Wilson ’95 joins cast of Disney’s Tony-award winning musical, “Newsies”
- Carrie Dorgan VanAlstine ’96 hits the ground running as the first female superintendent of Ball-Chatham School District
- Matthew West ’99, Grammy- and Dove-nominated Contemporary Christian musician performs Nov. 4 at Sangamon Auditorium in Springfield, Ill.
- Shawn Lent ’00, currently in Cairo, Egypt, as a Fulbright Scholar, finds herself in the midst of current political developments
- Sarah Evans ‘02 has written a book of professional development tips
- Alex Stevens ’14 selected by Santa Fe, N.M. opera company as one of eight electrical apprentices for the past summer
- Tim Kovalcik, associate professor of history, helped organize the archives of his hometown, Eureka Springs, Ark.
9/18/2012 12:30 AM
Can you guess the year Carole Brooks Schroeder reigned as Millikin's Homecoming queen? Did she proudly wear the crown in: A. 1954 B. 1957 C. 1959 D. 1960
Send your best guess to email@example.com, and be sure to include your name and address. Winners will be selected in a random drawing from all who respond correctly and each winner will receive a Millikin prize.
August Trivia Time winners:
- Carol Logan Sudduth '62
- Robyn Wise Bathon '77
- Jane Hurrelbrink Campbell '78
- Desi Harris '80
- Jonathan Saeger '98
All winners received an MU window cling for correctly identifying swimming as the sport in which Marcia Morey '78 made a splash as Millikin's first Olympic athlete.