Millikin Home
Big Blue RSS
Millikin University - Decatur, IL
General Information 

Scheduled Courses
Students should be aware that some Summer Session courses may be canceled due to low enrollment. Please see further explanation under “Insufficient Enrollment.” It is also possible that Summer Session courses have enrollment limits and may be oversubscribed. Therefore, students should include alternates on the Registration Form. Priority in registration for oversubscribed courses is given to degree candidates at Millikin University. Additional priority is determined by the date tuition payment is received. You will be notified if a course does not reach minimum enrollment and will not be taught prior to the start of classes. If you are not notified of a change, you should assume class will begin as scheduled.

Directed Studies, Independent Studies, Internships
In addition to the scheduled courses listed, a limited number of Millikin faculty members are available to direct internships and independent studies during Summer Session. Students interested in a special course should contact the department or professor directly to determine if the course may be scheduled. Appropriate forms for registering for any of these special courses can be obtained and filed in the Registrar’s Office. The Immersion/Summer School Director must sign all forms before they are filed at the Registrar’s office. To receive academic credit for an internship, students must complete their registration at the University prior to July 2, 2012.  A Millikin faculty member serves as a supervisor and generally a plan for the internship is discussed well in advance with the intended supervisor and student’s academic advisor. One academic credit is given for approximately 40 hours of internship and each internship must be approved through the appropriate department. Internships will not be accepted in the Registrar’s Office after July 2, 2012.

Adult Enrichment Courses
Courses with the designation of Adult Enrichment are designed to be of special interest to community adults. Community adults will be able to enroll in these courses for the reduced fee of $167 per credit hour ($500 for a three-credit course). Expectations for these students will be identical to the traditional University student. No credits or grade will be issued. No currently enrolled college students are eligible to take a course as an Adult Enrichment course.

School of Music
Applied music lessons and directed studies may be made available upon request. Contact the School of Music for additional information at (217) 424-6300.

Travel Courses
In order to fully benefit from an international or domestic travel experience, students should be in good physical and mental health. All participating students must meet program/course requirements. Qualified students with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation should submit a request for accommodation to the supervising faculty member or the Office of Student Success, at the time of application for participation in the course/program. All students are responsible for securing health and travel insurance coverage for domestic and international travel.

International Courses
An International Student Identification card (ISIC) is required and may be purchased from the Center for International Education (approximately $25). The card provides minimal insurance coverage as well as travel discounts. The Millikin University “Waiver, Release, and Indemnification Agreement” and the “Statement of Responsibility, Release and Authorization to Participate in an International Studies Program” are required for all students participating in a travel course. Forms can be obtained from the Center for International Education in Richards Treat Center, Rm. 121 (217-424-3758) and need to be submitted to that office by the applicable deadline. Domestic Travel Liability Forms should be obtained from the supervising faculty. Passports are required for all international travel courses – contact specific professors teaching international study abroad summer courses for additional information.

Domestic Travel Courses
Domestic Travel Courses also require The Millikin University “Waiver, Release, and Indemnification Agreement” and can be obtained from the Center for International Education, and need to be submitted to the supervising faculty by the applicable deadline.

Tuition & Other Charges
•  One-credit Courses    $364
•  Two-credit Courses    $728
•  Three-credit Courses  $1,092
•  Four-credit Courses    $1,456
•  Independent & Directed Studies  $364/Credit
•  Adult Enrichment Courses $167/credit ($500/3-credit course)

Tuition and fees must be paid prior to the start of classes. It is advisable to submit payment as soon as the Registration Form is processed. Payment should be received by the Student Service Center in Shilling Hall, Room 118, prior to the start date of classes. Some courses have additional fees or deposits to cover supplies or special expenses associated with off-campus travel and/or lodging. Contact the instructor for specific fee information.

Tuition Refunds
•  There is a full refund before 8:00 a.m. on the morning of the first day of
    class (May Immersion, Summer School term)
•  There is a 50% refund through 5:00 p.m. of the first day of class (May
    Immersion, Summer School term)
•  There is no refund after 8:00 a.m. of the 2nd day of class (May Immersion,
    Summer School term)

Each student is financially responsible for courses in which he/she is enrolled.  If it becomes necessary to drop a course, the student is responsible for submitting the proper paperwork and/notification to the Registrar’s Office – (see Registration section below). Simply not attending or ceasing to attend a class does not constitute a formal withdrawal. The instructor cannot withdraw the student; proper paperwork and/or notification must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. If you must withdraw and are unable to come to the University to complete the proper paperwork due to extenuating circumstances, you may call the Registrar’s Office at (217) 424-6217 or the Summer Session Director at (217) 424-6285 for assistance.

Policies and Procedures

As responsible persons, Summer Session students are expected to attend all regularly scheduled classes and laboratories. However, students are responsible for material covered in class, whether or not they are present. Each faculty member establishes an individual definition of satisfactory classroom attendance and informs students of this policy. Students should refer to their syllabus, which should state an individual instructor’s policies for the course. Summer term classes meet five days a week, Monday through Friday, unless otherwise noted. Immersion Courses meet for the dates listed under course descriptions (may include weekends). Absences due to illness of the student, serious illness or death in the immediate family, or extenuating circumstances generally carry no penalty. Students are expected to notify their instructors in advance about anticipated absences, and to make appropriate arrangements to make up work. In the event a student has difficulty reaching instructors to report an absence of several days duration, the Student Development office will assist the student at (217) 424-6340.

Course Evaluations
We have simplified the process of completing evaluations for each course, providing a convenient online approach. You will receive email instructions prior to the end of your May Immersion/Summer School course about how to log in to myMILLIKIN to complete the evaluation process, and you will have until the end date of the class to complete the evaluations. All answers and comments are anonymous, reported back to the faculty and administrators as data from all students in the class. Comments are reported back as text without names attached.  Your evaluations are an important contribution in the development of the highest quality learning experiences possible at Millikin University.

Millikin University students may enroll in non-travel courses (see instructor regarding travel course information) online (MUonline) beginning Wednesday, April 4, 2012.  Millikin students may not withdraw from classes online.  Students must withdraw from courses by contacting the Registrar’s office by phone, (217-424-6217) or by email, (nhotwick@millikin.edu or registrar@millikin.edu), or in person in accordance with the refund policies found under the “Tuition Refunds” section above.

Non-Millikin University students may fill out a registration form and submit it to the Registrar’s office.  If interested in a travel course, the student should contact the instructor listed regarding deposit and student billing contract, and other details about the travel course.  Students are not enrolled in travel courses without submitting a deposit and contract to the Immersion/Summer School office.  Students may also contact the Immersion/Summer School office at 424-6285 for additional information. Students must withdraw from courses by contacting the Registrar’s office by phone, (217-424-6217) or by email, (nhotwick@millikin.edu or registrar@millikin.edu), or in person in accordance with the refund policies found under the “Tuition Refunds” section above.

Classroom assignments are posted online. Go to www.millikin.edu, then Quick Links, then MUOnline, then Course Listings, select Term: Summer 2012. Select subject for course. Then submit. Classroom changes will be announced on myMILLIKIN.

Computer Access
If you have been a student at Millikin within the last year and already have a network account, you will be able to use your current passwords and accounts. If you have never attended Millikin University and do not have any network accounts, but, have your I.D. number, you can use the "Request your username" feature of myMILLIKIN by clicking on the link titled "Oops! Did you forget your password?" on the login screen.   If you do not have a valid Millikin ID, visit the University Services Department in Shilling 106 to get one. The Mueller Computer Lab in Lower Staley Library will be open the same hours as the library. Tabor Computer Lab in Shilling 323 will be opened as a classroom only and the ADM-Scovill Business and Technology Center is open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day with card swipe access. All of these labs have printing access and computers for student use.

Final Examinations
Final examinations for most courses will be given at the last scheduled class meeting. Specific hour(s) for final exams will be announced by the instructor.

Food Service
Wornick Dining Room will be open from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm when there are camps or conferences on campus.  Wornick Dining Room will be open 11:30 am to 1:00 pm any day that there is not a camp or conference on campus.  Also available are Subway and Dominos, and campus vending machines, all of which honor Millikin meal cards during Summer Session.

Grade reports are issued in August for all Summer Session courses. Incompletes awarded for summer course work must be resolved by October 21, 2012.  In the event that an incomplete is not resolved by that time, a grade of ‘F’ will be recorded. The full policy regarding incomplete grades is listed in the 2011-2012 Bulletin.

Insufficient Enrollment
The University reserves the right to withdraw courses for which there is insufficient enrollment. Courses may be canceled for other unforeseen circumstances as well. The University will contact students that are enrolled in classes that have not reached sufficient enrollment.

Library Facilities
Staley Library hours during Summer Session will be posted on the web, at www.millikin.edu/staley/hours, as well as at the library.

Current Millikin students who will be in need of housing during the Summer Immersion periods may sign a summer contract with the Office of Residence Life. Housing is limited and is rented at the rate of $18/night for double accommodations and $28/night for single accommodations (although singles may not always be available). The location of such housing is at the discretion of the Office of Residence Life. It is essential that students contact the Office of Residence Life at 217-362-6410 prior to May 10, 2012 to ensure appropriate housing. Failure to do so may result in a student's inability to live on campus due to lack of availability. Students living in The Woods should contact The Woods office at 217-464-8635 to inquire about summer rates. Payment for summer housing is charged to the student's account. A deposit may be required.

Registration Form
The Registration Form is for community members, non-Millikin students, high school students, and students from other universities and colleges.  All current Millikin students should enroll for courses online (MU Online). Be sure to list your first choice courses and alternate choices by course reference number (CRN). Please list your alternate course preference, in case of cancellation due to low enrollment. Mail or fax (217-420-6789) this completed form or bring it to the Registrar’s Office in Gorin Hall on Millikin’s campus. Registration for classes establishes a financial obligation to Millikin University. If there is no financial aid available for Summer Session, bills must be paid before the first day of class. The University reserves the right to cancel courses due to low enrollment.  Email the Registrar’s office at Registrar@millikin.edu for more information.

New Millikin Students
Students who have been admitted to Millikin University for the fall of 2012 may enroll in summer school. Courses taken during the summer will become a part of the Millikin transcript. New students should meet with an academic advisor prior to selecting summer courses. The academic advisor will be assigned by the department chair in the student’s major area; for undecided students, the dean of the appropriate college or school will make the assignment. The student may contact the dean, chair or advisor directly. After meeting with an advisor, the student should submit the registration form to the Registrar’s Office.

Visiting Students
Students enrolled as full or part-time students at other colleges or universities may enroll as visiting students during Summer Session. Visiting students should submit the registration form found near the back of this booklet to the Registrar’s Office. It is not necessary to apply for admission to Millikin to take courses in Millikin’s Summer Session. Visiting students are responsible for verifying with their home institutions that the courses they take at Millikin are appropriate to their academic plans and can be transferred to the home institution.

Current High School Students
Millikin invites high school students to enroll with special student status. This option is appropriate for juniors or seniors who have strong academic preparation (generally B or better average in related high school courses). High school students should complete the registration form found after the course descriptions and submit it to the Registrar’s Office. High school students must submit a statement and a signature from a high school counselor or principal to the Registrar’s Office, stating that the student is at least a junior or senior in high school and prepared for advanced work in the area selected. Summer Immersion courses may be applied toward the Millikin degree if the student is admitted later and enrolls as a degree candidate. Students may be able to transfer these courses to other institutions as well.

High School Graduates
High School graduates who are not currently enrolled in a college or university may request admission to the May/Summer Immersion terms as special students. These students should complete the registration form found after the course descriptions and submit it to the Registrar’s Office.

Millikin University - Decatur, IL
Millikin University - Decatur, IL