The Exploratory Practicum is designed specifically for first-semester Exploratory Studies students with the goal of facilitating informed choices regarding the selection of a major and career path. Through the practicum experience, students focus on career awareness to assist them in their personal major decision-making process. In addition, Exploratory students become actively involved in personal and career development activities while exploring all of the academic options that Millikin has to offer.
Learning Outcomes of the Exploratory Studies Practicum
Upon completing this practicum experience, first-semester Exploratory students will have:
- Identified and reflected on individual values, interests, personality traits and skills (VIPS) and what they mean to their academic and career decision-making processes.
- Developed an understanding of the career development process.
- Developed an understanding of the habits of successful students.
- Explored and identified occupational and academic options that are a good fit for VIPS.
- Increased confidence in their ability to make career-related decisions as evidenced by pre-test and post-test measures.
- Set and/or refined short-term and long-term academic and career goals.
- Demonstrated a basic knowledge of Millikin curricular offerings and course registration procedures.
For more information about the Exploratory Studies Practicum, please Candace Baker, Assistant Director of Student Success, at email@example.com or 217-362-6424.