Quicklinks
myMILLIKIN |
Search
Millikin Home
Big Blue RSS
Millikin University - Decatur, IL
Library History- Gorin Library 

(click on images below for larger versions)

Gorin Library architect: James H. White, University of Illinois.

Ground was broken for the building on Nov. 5, 1930.   

  
 
April 17, 1931: Mrs. A.R. Taylor, widow of University's first president, spreads mortar for cornerstone as President Jesse Hayes White and about five hundred others look on.
Seated at right in photo: Orville B. Gorin and Eugenia Allin. Mr. Gorin was a long-time friend and benefactor of the University, as well as a member of the University's Board of Managers.
 
(click on invitation to see dedication program)
Nov. 27, 1931: Raymond Egebrecht '34 helps move books 
from Shilling Hall to Gorin Library

 


Gorin Library, 1935
Decatur Herald - Review file photo
 

1931: Gorin Library interior (far end of reading room)

Early 1930's: Gorin Library reading room

 


Half of Millikin University postcard (1940's?)
(the green roof is artistic license, not ever actual)

 



Gorin Hall in the present


Early Saturday morning, June 7, 2008, Gorin Hall was struck by lightning, damaging the stone decorative peak on the west end of the building. The decoration was later replaced.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(before damage)


to Library history home page
  This page created on January 27, 2000
 
 
Millikin University - Decatur, IL
 
Millikin University - Decatur, IL
Guest