Administrative Assistant II / Acquisitions Associate
Position Title: Administrative Assistant II / Aquisitions Associate
Department: Staley Library
Supervisor: Library Director
Incumbent: Marsha Leach (since June 2000)
Provide confidential administrative/budgetary/secretarial support to the Director of Staley Library and other library faculty. Working with a mix of computerized and manual records, responsible for library acquisitions processes and record keeping, to the end of timely and accurate purchase of books, electronic databases, and other library information resources except periodicals. Manage invoicing and other fiscal record keeping for all library materials, including periodicals.
- Support the Library Director with a full range of administrative and secretarial services, as needed.
- Monitor use of the Library's budget, and maintain the Library's fiscal records.
- Serve as liaison to the University's Business Office. Compile budgetary statistics and financial reports.
- Using information provided by librarians and faculty, place orders for materials by preparing purchase orders and selecting suppliers. Monitor progress of orders, re-contacting suppliers as needed.
- Receive ordered materials, checking for accuracy of order completion, following up on corrections as needed. Monitor vendor performance and compliance.
- Monitor regularly recurring orders (Standing Orders) to assure that no volumes are missed.
- Assure accuracy and completeness of invoices to be paid for received materials.
- Maintain computerized and/or manual records, including statistics, related to acquisitions processes.
- Monitor, order and dispense all Library supplies. Handle all vendor communications regarding non-computer equipment maintenance and malfunction.
- Maintain records of gifts received, notifying Director of Library when thank you letters needed.
- Monitor and follow up on day-to-day building maintenance and repairs, serving as primary contact person with College's facilities staff.
- Process Library staff time card reporting, including student time sheets.
- Deposit at the MU Cashier's Office circulation, photocopy and other monies as needed.
- Perform routine updating functions on the Library's Web site.
- Provide occasional advanced word processing and spreadsheet support to other library staff, including some desktop publishing.
- Within parameters of position responsibilities, propose new or changed policies and procedures to accomplish own responsibilities, related operations, and Library mission.
- Support overall Library operations and services through projects and other duties as appropriate and assigned.
- Actively support Library colleagues, Library service goals, and College mission.
Date of position description: January 31, 2000 / revised February 6, 2003.
- College degree preferred; two years of college or equivalent is the minimum.
- Work experience in library preferred, and in academic setting desirable.
- Computer proficiency required, preferably including working experience with library automation.
- Experienced and excellent user of word processing and other computer applications (Microsoft product experience preferred).
- Experience in library technical services preferred.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written skills important; service orientation essential; demonstrated willingness to learn new things; comfort with varied pace, overlapping tasks, and change.