When doing your research, sometimes books are exactly what you need.
Books provide you with comprehensive information about your topic, providing you with an overview, background, and major theories in depth.
Finding books by different authors will often allow you to have many different points of view about the same subject.
Search for books here at Millikin's library in the online catalog.
General books on Biology:
- Browse the following areas of the library's stacks (third floor) in the following call number ranges:
- QH 1 - 278.5 (Natural History)
- QH 201 - 278.5 (Microscopy)
- QH 301 - 705.5 (Biology, General)
- QH 359 - 425 (Evolution)
- QH 426 - 470 (Genetics)
- QH 471 - 489 (Reproduction)
- QH 501 - 531 (Life)
- QH 540 - 549.5 (Ecology)
- QH 573 - 671 (Cytology)
- QH 705 - 705.5 (Economic Biology)
- QK 1-989 (Botany)
- QK 494 - 494.5 (Gymnosperms)
- QK 495 (Angiosperms)
- QK 640 - 707 (Plant Anatomy)
- QK 710 - 899 (Plant Physiology)
- QK 900 - 989 (Plant Ecology)
- QL 1 - 991 (Zoology)
- QL 360 - 599.82 (Invertebrates)
- QL 614 - 639.8 (Fishes)
- QL 640 - 669.3 (Reptiles and Amphibians)
- QL 671 - 699 (Birds)
- QL 700 - 739.8 (Mammals)
- QL 750 - 795 (Animal Behavior)
- QL 799 - 799.5 (Morphology)
- QL 801 - 950.9 (Anatomy)
- QL 951 - 991 (Embryology)
- QM 1 - 695 (Human Anatomy)
- QP 1 - 981 (Physiology)
- QR 1 - 502 (Microbiology)
- R1 - RZ999 (Medicine) for more detail on Medicine, see the Nursing guide
- S 1 - 972 (Agriculture)
- SB 1 - 1110 (Plant Culture)
- SF 1 - 1100 (Animal Culture)
- SH 1 - 691 (Aquaculture)
Browse by subject in the online catalog:
Sometimes one of the best ways to find books on your topic is to do some subject browsing in the Online catalog.
There are two ways to do this easily:
Do a regular search (either Quick or Advanced) for your topic and find a book that is good for your research.
In the result list from the search, click on the title of the book so that you can the full record of information about it.
After the publication information, there is a section called "Topics".
This list of the topics describes the content of the book. If one of these subject headings looks useful for your topic, click on it.
That will bring you to a new list of books we own that are classified with that topic.
In either the Advanced or Quick search, type in the term for your search.
Change the drop down menu next to the search box to Subject.
Click find to see if we own any books classified with that subject.
Possible Subject Headings to use as search terms: