Position Title: Circulation Specialist (Evening)
Department: Staley Library
Reports to: Access Services Coordinator & Archivist
Works Closely with: Acquisitions and Circulation Specialist; other library faculty and staff, other libraries, campus faculty and staff
Directly Supervises: Student Assistants
Incumbent: Kimberly Lorton (since November 2014)
With the guidance of the Access Services Coordinator, collaborates with the other Circulation Specialist in assuring the provision of excellent Circulation Desk services to Millikin University students, faculty, administrators and staff, as well as to community members and visitors from other academic institutions statewide, during all hours that the library is open.
Academic year hours for this position are Sunday – Thursday 3:00 pm - midnight.
Varied shifts during summer months (mid-May to mid-August) and over breaks and holidays, though with similar responsibilities.
- Close the library 5 days a week (including one weekend day) at midnight, ensuring that all valuable items and entry to the library are properly secured.
- Provide Circulation Desk assistance to Millikin University students, faculty, administrators and staff, as well as to community members and visitors from other academic institutions statewide.
- Under the supervision of the Access Services Coordinator, participate in the hiring, training, monitoring, and evaluation of student employees, including assuring processing of time sheets and paychecks of students specifically assigned to the Circulation Desk.
- Supportively provide work assignments and supervisory guidance for student staff as needed, including assuring appropriate desk coverage and quality of student work.
- Courteously and helpfully interpret library policies and procedures for public and staff and assist patrons with locating and borrowing library materials.
- Assemble, monitor, and maintain the faculty's Reserve reading collections, a task that includes creating bibliographic records for these materials in the library's computerized catalog system.
- Provide basic reference assistance to students, faculty, and staff, including appropriate referrals to librarians. Provide assistance to public in use of microfilm readers and photocopiers.
- Oversee library stack maintenance, including assigning to student workers the daily shelving of all materials and regular shelf reading for shelving accuracy.
- Contribute to the collection of statistics and to the creation of statistical and other reports in areas of responsibility.
- Act as sole supervisor for all late evening hours the library is open and no librarian is present.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Mending of library materials as time allows.
- Answering patron questions regarding fines and notices with Acquisition/Circulation Specialist.
- Assist student workers, the Access Services Coordinator, and the Director of the Library in their responsibilities as needed.
- Within parameters of position responsibilities, propose new or changed
policies and procedures to accomplish own responsibilities, related
operations, and Library mission.
- Actively support Library colleagues, Library service goals, and University mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two years of college or equivalent minimum, college degree preferred.
- One to three years work experience in a library preferred; experience in an academic setting is desirable.
- Computer aptitude and general proficiency required; customer/patron service skills essential.
- Excellent interpersonal, supervisory, verbal and written skills are essential.
- Able to work independently.
- Flexible and comfortable with change; reliable.
Date of position description: July 2014.