Position Title: Circulation/Acquisitions Specialist
Department: Staley Library
Reports to: Access Services Coordinator and Library Director
Works Closely with: Other library faculty and staff, business office personnel, academic departments, outside suppliers and vendors, other libraries
Directly Supervises: Student assistants
Incumbent: Marsha Leach (since June 2000)
With the guidance of the Access Services Coordinator, assure provision of excellent Circulation Desk services. Be responsible for timely and accurate library acquisitions processes and record keeping. Provide confidential administrative and budgetary support to the Director of Staley Library and other library faculty.
Under the guidance of the Access Services Coordinator
- Open the library five days a week and prepare building for the day's public services.
- Provide circulation and basic information assistance to Millikin University students, faculty, administrators, and staff, as well as to community members and visitors from other academic institutions. Courteously and helpfully interpret library policies and procedures for public and staff.
- Under the guidance of the Access Services Coordinator, participate in the training, supervision, and evaluation of student employees.
- Process Library student time sheets and paychecks, monitoring work study fund usage for each student worker, advising appropriate student supervisors as funds are depleted. Ensure that student employment paperwork is complete.
- Manage patron fines, notices, and bills, answering patrons' questions about same.
- Update the new books web page.
Under the guidance of the Library Director:
- Serve as the Office Manager for the Library with responsibility for ordering and dispensing office supplies, vendor communications for non-computer equipment issues, and primary Facilities contact for building maintenance and repairs.
- Monitor use of the Library's budget, and compile/maintain the Library's fiscal, acquisitions records and statistics and run other statistical reports as needed.
- Place and monitor orders for library materials, receive ordered materials, assure accuracy and completeness of invoices to be paid for received materials, and process invoices for payment. Work with the suppliers and Business Office as special issues arise, and with academic departments for occasional cost-sharing purchases.
- Reconcile charge account billing statements with purchase records and work with the Business Office as needed if discrepancies occur.
- Deposit at the MU Cashier's Office circulation, photocopy and other monies as needed.
- Maintain records of gifts received, notifying Director of Library and Alumni Development Office as needed.
- During any library hiring process, manage the travel accommodations, reimbursement, record keeping and correspondence, while maintaining confidentiality.
- Withing the parameters of position responsibilities, propose new or changed policies and procedures to accomplish own responsibilities, related operations, and Library mission.
- Actively support Library colleagues, Library service goals, University mission. Support overall Library operations and services through projects and other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Two years of college or equivalent minimum; college degree preferred.
- One to three years' relevant experience; work experience in library preferred, and in academic setting desirable.
- Computer proficiency required, preferably including working experience with library management system; experienced and excellent user of word processing and other computer applications (Microsoft product experience preferred); good interpersonal, verbal, and written skills important; service orientation essential; demonstrated ability and willingness to learn new things; and comfortable with varied pace, overlapping tasks, and change.
Date of position description: June 2014.