Millikin University’s Department of Political Science is dedicated to developing its students’ understanding of the political world at the domestic and international levels. With an emphasis on theory and practice, students explore their role as active citizens in their community, country, and the world. Through a rigorous curriculum that cultivates competency in both quantitative and qualitative methodologies, we seek to develop the critical thinking and analytical skills essential to our students’ long-term professional success.
We also seek to instill in our students the responsibilities that civil society demands and are committed to their development as active citizens and leaders of their local, national, and world communities. We are dedicated to the development of the whole student, one who is better able to understand and engage in the development of a more ethical and just society.
Upon graduating from Millikin University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, students should be able to:
(1) Identify key questions, fundamental concepts, and theoretical frameworks critical
to an understanding of the political world;
(2) Identify the fundamental concepts, characteristics, and theories central to
(3) Identify the fundamental concepts, characteristics, and theories central to
(4) Identify the fundamental concepts, characteristics, and theories central
to the area of international relations;
(5) Solve complex problems by demonstrating a mastery of substantive knowledge in
the discipline’s main sub-fields;
(6) Follow scientific and humanistic methods to design and carry out politically-oriented
research projects by utilizing sufficiently advanced social research methods;
(7) Communicate effectively political knowledge to general audiences as well as
colleagues in the field.