- Millikin’s graduating music education classes have maintained a 100% placement rate for the
last nine years.
- The School of Music facility recently underwent a $9.5 renovation. It includes a digital recording studio, 300 seat recital hall, and state-of-the-art computer lab, piano lab, music education resource room, and more.
- Lab ensembles and practicum sites in area schools provide students with an opportunity for hands on training in realistic classroom settings.
- Full-time faculty with expertise in choral, instrumental, and general music and extensive experience teaching in school music programs.
- A comprehensive curriculum which 95% of students complete in four years.
- Music education students can take advantage of many performance opportunities including a variety of choirs, concert bands, jazz bands, vocal jazz ensembles, opera and musical productions and more. As a purely undergraduate institution, our students have access to these opportunities from the beginning of their college careers.
Pre-Professional Opportunities at Millikin
- Teach Laboratory Band and Choir
- Teach at the Lutheran School Association (General Music Practicum); St. Patrick School (Instrumental Practicum); and John's Hill Magnet School
- Teach the Decatur Youth Symphony Orchestra
- Assist in Teaching the Millikin Children's Choir
- Teach Private Lessons in Millikin’s Preparatory Department
- Assist in Teaching Millikin’s Early Childhood Music Program
- Teach the Decatur Summer Youth Band
- Attend the Music Educator's National Conference (State conference, guest speakers, service projects, etc)
Creative Writing and Research (2 semesters)
School of Music Requirements
Music Theory (4 semesters)
Ear Training (4 semesters)
Survey of Western Music (2 semesters)
Class Piano (4 semesters)
Major Ensemble (7 semesters)
Applied Lessons (7 semesters)
Introduction to American Education
Human Development and Schools
Creating a Community of Learners
Literacy in the Content Area
Music Education Requirements
Introduction to Music Education
Conducting (2 semesters)
Middle Level Methods
Foreign Language Diction
Instrumental Methods Survey
Piano Skills for Teaching
Woodwind Methods (2 semesters)
String Methods (2 semesters)
Laboratory Band (3 semesters)
Marching Band Techniques
Jazz Band Techniques
Complete Degree Audit Sheets
Music Education (Vocal Emphasis)
Music Education (Instrumental Emphasis)