Millikin University provides four majors that can help you make a career in and around sports — Athletic Training, Physical Education, Sport Management and Health, Fitness and Recreation.
Our degrees can prepare you to:
- Work at a national sports association, with a professional team or at a major sports venue
- Become a fitness trainer to help people achieve their fitness goals
- Receive your teaching certificate to help youth connect fun with physical activity and to coach in a K-12 environment
- Manage a sports team, program or retail sporting goods store
- Work in sports media, sports promotion or event management
- Provide sports medicine care for athletes
Engaging in community health initiatives and internships provide valuable real-world application of skills and knowledge. Your education may be enhanced by local youth coaching or by volunteering with the annual Chicago Marathon.
Beyond the degree, many students seek teaching- or fitness-related Certifications or graduate school admission. Your education at Millikin will help you get there, and you may be eligible for Recognition along the way. Our Resources page highlights some of the internships, professional organizations and careers.
You should feel free to try out for Big Blue athletics, but participation is not a requirement. You may be able to get experience and other benefits from working with a team as an athletic trainer, student assistant coach or sporting event manager.