MSN Nurse Anesthesia Program Track
Nurse Anesthesia Program Track (NAP)
Coursework in the MSN (DNP*) Nurse Anesthesia Track prepares qualified, experienced Registered Nurses in the Advanced Practice Nursing specialty of nurse anesthesia. The NAP is jointly conducted by Millikin University and Decatur Memorial Hospital (DMH). A strong emphasis is placed upon performance learning opportunities focusing on advanced knowledge and technical skills required for unrestricted nurse anesthesia practice. The required clinical practicum consisting of approximately 2500 hours of clinical experiences is conducted at DMH and their affiliate institutions. Once the clinical practicum experiences begin, students do not follow the traditional University semester calendar. Graduates of this program will be eligible to take the National Certification Examination offered by the Council on Certification of Nurse Anesthetists.
Nurse Anesthesia Track Admission - Application deadline: July 1, 2013
The Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree in Nursing (DNP)
Nurse Anesthesia Program (*) Program beginning early January 2014.
*Pending COA accreditation body approval of the DNP.
Please note the MSN (Nurse Anesthesia Program) will be offered in the 2013 - 2014 academic year IF the School of Nursing does not receive permission from the COA to launch the Doctor of Nursing Practice NAP.
IF permission is not garnered, the entering 2013 - 2014 cohort will enroll knowing they will earn the MSN instead of the DNP with the program beginning in late May 2014.
Qualified candidates for the MSN degree (DNP*) (NAP track) are highly-motivated registered nurses who hold a baccalaureate degree in nursing from an accredited program and who have completed pre-requisite academic and professional requirements. Application forms are available on-line at www.millikin.edu/msn and www.dmhhs.org/services/NurseAnes. Information packets may also be accessed at www.dmhhs.org/services/NurseAnes or telephone 217.876.2578 (DMH).
Graduate applicants must:
- Complete the Graduate application; JULY 1, 2013. DEADLINE
- Send official transcripts from all graduate and undergraduate institutions attended to the Millikin University School of Nursing attention MSN Admissions, 1184 W. Main, Decatur, IL 62522;
- Demonstrate a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and evidence of successful completion (grade of C or better) of courses in undergraduate nursing research and health assessment, organic chemistry and introductory statistics;
- Complete (grade of C or better) a graduate level statistics course prior to September 1, 2013 deadline;
- Possess an unencumbered/unrestricted license as a RN in the State of Illinois.
- Provide scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), if undergraduate cumulative GPA is below 3.0;
- Provide three (3) written recommendations from individuals who can speak to the applicant’s integrity, potential for success in a graduate program, and clinical nursing performance. One recommendation must be from a direct ICU supervisor;
- Provide evidence of current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS);
- Submit a one to two-page written statement (up to 1000 words) addressing personal and professional goals related to the master’s program;
- Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae;
- Provide evidence of a minimum of one year of an adult intensive care unit (ICU) nursing experience. Current ICU experience is strongly preferred.
- Complete the Assessment of Critical Care Skills form
Following notification of acceptance into the program, must complete all entrance requirements including, but not limited to: proof of immunizations, physical examination, drug screen, and criminal background check.