10/10/2011 12:40 PM
David Frum will be the speaker for the 2011 Thomas W. Ewing Lectureship to be held Tuesday, Oct. 18, at 7:30 p.m. in Westminster Presbyterian Church next to campus. He offers detailed insights into exactly how Washington is changing - and what these changes will mean for us all, when he speaks on "Real Problems, Real Solutions: Transformative Ideas for Today's Political Landscape."
The lecture, followed by a book signing, is free and open to the public. For more information, call 217-424-6383.
Frum is former special assistant to President George W. Bush and former senior foreign policy adviser to Rudy Giuliani. He has authored six books and is a frequent guest on "The Colbert Report," "The Daily Show," "Real Time with Bill Maher" and "The Larry King Show."
9/9/2011 5:40 PM
to see who has made their reservations.
Highlights of this year’s events include:
• UChoir reunion concert.
• A reunion for the undefeated football team of 1961.
• A celebration of the 100th anniversary of Millikin’s SAE chapter.
• An alumni swim meet.
• Men’s basketball team alumni game.
• Men's and women’s soccer reunion on Oct. 1.
• A celebration of 30 years of School of Nursing grads.
• Pompon and dance team alumni to perform at half-time of the football game.
Several alumni will be recognized on Friday, Oct. 7, at a dinner open to alums & friends honoring Alumni Award
recipients and Athletic Hall of Fame (AHOF) inductees
. Reservations for the dinner are required. Come to Homecoming and help us recognize them!
9/9/2011 4:45 PM
Alumni and friends are invited to attend the inauguration of Dr. Harold Jeffcoat as the 14th president of Millikin University, Friday, Sept. 16, 4 p.m., in Kirkland Fine Arts Center. No tickets necessary.
9/9/2011 4:35 PM
J.B. Spillane and Dion Wilson, both 2011 graduates, will be presented with the Lindsay Medallion during halftime at the Oct. 29 football game to recognize their athletic excellence. They are being honored for their outstanding performances on their Big Blue teams; Spillane for golf and Wilson for football.
The medallion has been presented annually to one or more outstanding Millikin student-athletes since 1998.
9/9/2011 4:25 PM
Have a Millikin student in your family? Bring your family to Fall Family Weekend, Sept. 23-25, and enjoy campus events for the whole family — concerts, athletic events, a street festival that includes an Alumni Association food booth. Spend a weekend with your student and become part of our Millikin family tradition. More
9/9/2011 4:20 PM
Millikin Club of Chicago presents the annual Howard Nyberg Football Party, Saturday, Oct. 22, at Fitz's Spare Keys
, 119 N. York St., Elmhurst, Ill., following the 1 p.m. game at Elmhurst. Cost is $10. Pay at the door. The football team will attend.
RSVP to email@example.com
or call us toll-free at 1-877-JMU-ALUM (568-2586) by Oct. 20, so we know how many to expect. MORE
9/9/2011 4:15 PM
This year’s season offers something for every age group and the price is right! (No ticket is over $24, the average adult ticket price is just $18; child's pricing is also available!)
The series kicks off Saturday, Sept. 17, with "Almost Elton John."
On Sunday, Sept. 25, enjoy the Cantus Vocal Ensemble, including MU alumni Chris Foss '05 and Aaron Humble '00. Alumni and friends are invited to attend a reception hosted by the Alumni Association immediately following in Perkinson Gallery.
9/9/2011 4:05 PM
• Saturday, Sept. 17 - >Almost Elton John (Kirkland Performing Arts Series)
• Friday-Sunday, Sept. 23-25 – Fall Family Weekend (including Alumni Association food booth, Sept. 24)
• Saturday, Sept. 24 - >Collage Concert
• Sunday, Sept. 25 – Cantus Vocal Ensemble (Kirkland Performing Arts Series) MU alumni members include Chris Foss '05 and Aaron Humble '00. Alumni Association hosts reception immediately following.
• Saturday, Oct. 1 - >Blue Connection at Columbia, Ill., Arts Walk.
• Sunday, Oct. 2 - Symphonic Wind Ensemble and University Concert Band - Alum soloist Dr. Bradley Palmer ’97
• Friday-Sunday, Oct. 7-9 – Homecoming 2011
• Sunday, October 9 - Youth Dance Camp hosted by the Millikin Sapphires Dance Team
• Tuesday, Oct. 18 - David Frum presents Thomas W. Ewing Lecture
• Saturday, Oct. 22 - MU Club of Chicago, Nyberg Football party following game at Elmhurst (Fitz's Spare Keys)
• Monday, Oct. 24 - Millikin High School Honor Band and Millikin Wind Ensemble - Alum guest conductor Stacey Larson ’92
9/9/2011 4:00 PM
As campus buildings have been constructed or remodeled over the years, distinctive design features have been introduced, like the chandelier shown in the photo below.
Where could you could you look up and see this lighting fixture?
1. Lobby of Griswold Physical Education Center
2. Wornick Dining Room in Richards Treat University Center
3. Kaeuper Hall in the Perkinson Music Center
4. Perkinson Gallery in Kirkland Fine Arts Center
Send your best guess to firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure to include your name and address. Winners will be selected in a random drawing of all who respond correctly and each will receive a Millikin prize.
Last issue's winner --
Becky Six '75
She received an MU luggage tag for correctly knowing that 1947 Homecoming Queen Patsy Shumate Lumm was selected by band leader Jimmy Dorsey. Stan Kenton’s orchestra was also popular on campus, but he didn’t play at homecoming until 1961.