The job search can often be an overwhelming task for many students. By breaking down your job search into manageable and organized steps, it will be easier for you to accomplish your goals. We recommend that students follow the seven steps listed below.
7 Steps To A Successful Job Search
- Identify values, interests, personality, and skills – these activities generate a critical language of action verbs and keywords for communicating qualifications to employers.
- Develop career goals – knowing what you want to do and staying focused on your goals are very important to job search success.
- Conduct job-related research – research companies, employers, communities and careers.
- Write resumes and cover letters – they won’t get you a job, but they do advertise you for job interviews to prospective employers.
- Network for information, advice, and referrals – this will help to uncover opportunities in the hidden job market.
- Interview – this is the single most important step in the job search process. Without an interview, there is no job offer and no job.
- Negotiate salary and terms of employment – know what you’re worth in today’s job market and know when it’s appropriate to discuss salary & benefits.
An organized and targeted job search is an effective job search. The best way to get started is to take advantage of the services offered in the Career Center. All of our resources are free.