Free Online Training for All PC Versions of Microsoft Office
(Videos and Articles)
Free Online Training for All Mac Versions of Microsoft Office
Office 2007/2010 Compatibility with Office 2000 and 2003
1. Can my computer read Office Version 2007/2010 files if I have Office 2000 or Office 2003 installed?
Not until you download the Office Converter from this website this website. This will allow you to read and make changes to an Office 2007/2010 Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file.
2. Can my computer with Office 2007/2010 read and save versions 2000 or 2003 without a converter?
Yes, you should be able to open Office 2000 and 2003 files with Office 2007/2010 with no problem. If you are going to send these files to someone that has Office 2000 or 2003, you need to make sure they have the converter installed to be able to read them after you have saved them. Or you can set your Office 2007/2010 program up to save as Word 2003 files by default. Go here for directions.
3. You listed Word, Excel, and PP above, can I open Access 2007/2010 files with my Access 2000 and 2003?
Yes, there is no converter for the process but you should be able to open the files with no problem.
4. If I have Office 2000 or 2003 installed on my computer, can I save files in the Office 2007/2010 format?
Yes, but you need to download and install the Office 2007 Converter from the website listed in question number 1.
5. I heard that Office 2007 filenames have an added character. What are the new file name extensions for Office 2007/2010?
Files created and saved in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access Version 2007 will have an additional character at the end of the file name extension.
Word = .docx
Excel = .xlsx
Powerpoint = .pptx
Access = .mdbx
6. How do I know that I have a compatibility issue with Office Version 2007/2010?
You will get one of the errors listed in red on this web page when you try to open a file created in Office 2007/2010 and you are using Office 2000 or 2003.
7. Why can't I download an Office 2007/2010 document attached to an email when I'm using Outlook?
Microsoft Outlook detects Office 2007/2010 documents as XML files and will block you from downloading them to your computer. Instead, you will need to download them through Novell GroupWise.
8. Where can I purchase a copy of the latest Microsoft Office software for my machine?
• VarsityBuys - Microsoft Office Windows/Mac (Available with an educational discount). Go to www.varsitybuys.com,
select Institution Type: College/University, select State/Province:
Illinois, press Go and select Millikin University from the list.)
**If you are connected to the Internet when trying to open an Office 2007/2010 document in Office 2000 or 2003 and you have not installed the converter, you will be prompted to install it; simply follow the instructions as they are presented to you.