Millikin University - Decatur, IL
Room Assignments

Can I have a single room?

Millikin University has very few single rooms available. Most, if not all, single rooms are occupied by junior and senior students who receive preference for these accommodations. Certain students with medical documentation and who identify their need for a single room prior to the room selection date (March) may qualify for a single room.

My roommate hasn't shown up. Do I have a single room now?

That depends. The residence hall contract you signed when you agreed to your housing assignment stated that you live in a double occupancy room. Therefore, the University reserves the right to place a new roommate with you at any time. If your roommate has either left the University, moved to another room, or has never shown up at all, you have two options. You will receive a letter from the Office of Residence Life shortly after your roommate has left (or upon the 10th day of classes). This letter will inform you that you have the option of either entering into consolidation or paying for a campus single option. Consolidation means that you are agreeing to have a new roommate placed with you or to move into another double occupancy room in which there is only one occupant. Paying for a campus single option requires you to sign a new contract and pay a higher rate to stay in your same room as a single occupant. Paying the campus single rate ensures that you will have a single room for the remainder of the semester.

I would like to room with my friend, can I choose to room with him/her?

Yes, you may choose the person with whom you would like to room with if both parties identify each other on their housing application. Once housing assignments have been made, students must wait until 10 days after the start of the academic semester before requesting a room change.

I do not like my roommate, why do I have to wait to move?

Students must wait for 10 days after the start of the academic semester to make any room changes. This allows the University to accurately account for the students living in the residence halls and give us the opportunity to make the proper arrangements for any address and phone changes. If you feel that you are living in an environment where you are in physical danger, please contact your RA or AC. We will be able to provide you with temporary housing until after the waiting period.

I have waited the ten days and I still want to move. What is the process?

After the formal waiting period, students may request a room change. Please contact your RA to begin the process. Your RA will assist you with any interpersonal conflict you may be having and encourage you to complete a roommate contract. You may be instructed to attempt to resolve the conflict. It is the philosophy of the Office of Residence Life to assist students in becoming responsible citizens. This includes assisting in difficult situations and encouraging students of different backgrounds and preferences to learn about one another. Requests for moving rooms are not always approved.

Both my roommate and I have friends that would like to switch places with us. Can we do this?

Yes, this process is called a "buddy switch". Any four students may negotiate to swap roommates. Once the decision has been made to complete a "buddy switch", the four students must make an appointment with their AC to complete the proper paperwork. The fine for moving without authorization is $100/student. "Buddy switches" must be completed between the end of the formal waiting period and week five of the semester.

How are room assignments determined?

If you are a new student to the University, you will submit a housing application. Housing applications are due May 1st each year. Assignments are made in the order applications are received. We make all attempts to accommodate each student based on their preferences as indicated on their housing application, however, we can never guarantee that a student will get his/her first, second, or even third choice. If you are a returning student, you will need to participate in the room selection process that occurs in February and March each year. Upper-class students may choose to reside in their same residence or choose a new residence. New assignments for returning students are made on a first come, first served basis on the day of selection for a particular hall. Selection dates and times are determined in January of each year and are well publicized to students.

How are roommates assigned?

Most new students are randomly assigned roommates based upon a few criteria. It is very important that the student completes his or her own housing application that will assist us in assigning his/her roommate. Habits such as smoking, sleeping, studying, and housekeeping are the criteria on the housing application that we take into account when matching roommates. Even when these criteria are considered, a new resident may find that his/her roommate is from another country or speaks another language. The roommate may be of a different race, have a different lifestyle, or practice a different religion. Roommates may differ from eachother in any number of ways. Learning to live together successfully is an important part of the educational experience at Millikin. Room changes will not be made based upon difference in race, lifestyle, religion, ability, or creed.

Millikin University - Decatur, IL
Millikin University - Decatur, IL