Position Title: Education Technology and Cataloging Specialist
Department: Staley Library
Reports to: Educational Technology Coordinator and Electronic Resources/Technical Services Coordinator
Works Closely with: Library faculty and staff, campus IT department, campus faculty, staff, and students
Directly Supervises: Student assistant
Incumbent: Eric McKinney (since July 2008)
The primary duties of this position are to provide support for Educational Technology activities and projects, to assist with library technology issues, and to add cataloging records for all new library materials into two major library computer systems.
Under the guidance of the Educational Technology Coordinator
- Provide support for Educational Technology activities and projects, including but not limited to Moodle, Turnitin, and LiveText.
- Respond to daily e-mails and phone messages from faculty, staff, and students, assisting the Educational Technology Coordinator with day-to-day operations of various learning resources.
- As needed, assist the Educational Technology Coordinator in delivering workshops, creating documentation for Ed Tech tools, and editing Ed Tech website.
- Aid in reviewing and providing specs for new technologies as the library develops its educational technology capacity.
- Assist library users with technology issues such as printing and scanning.
- Help install and troubleshoot library technology equipment, peripherals, and software.
Under the guidance of the Electronic Resources/Technical Services Coordinator:
- With great attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness, add and edit records for materials of various formats to the two major computer systems (I-Share and OCLC) using the Voyager and OCLC software.
- Perform catalog database maintenance. This would include all standing order additions, deletions of items from our collection, changes to existing records such as location, call number, barcode or copy number, and resolving problem areas discovered through various library and consortium reports.
- Responsible for processing new items for shelf-readiness, rotation of new book shelf titles, and the new books reserves list.
- Maintain computerized and/or manual records, including statistics, related to the cataloging work completed using both I-Share and OCLC databases.
- Assist the Educational Technology Coordinator, Electronic Resources/Technical Services Coordinator and any other library personnel as needed and appropriate.
- Occasionally cover for other library workers during emergencies or vacations.
- Within parameters of position responsibilities, propose new or changed policies and procedures to accomplish own responsibilities, related operations, and Library mission.
- Actively support Library colleagues, Library service goals, and University mission, and support overall Library operations and services through projects and other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Two years of college or equivalent minimum; college degree preferred.
- One to three years work experience in library and/or academic setting is desirable. One to three years work experience in computer support is desirable.
- Experience with educational technology services and support is preferred.
- Knowledge of multimedia applications, educational software, and emerging teaching technologies.
- Experience using computers and with Windows and Macintosh.
- Familiarity with library cataloging and course management systems is preferred.
- Ability to interpret cataloging rules and follow detailed procedures.
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
- Ability to work well with others and to assist users served by the Staley Library, service orientation is essential.
- Comfortable working in a varied pace, as well as working independently.
- Must be timely, meticulous, and thorough with multiple details.
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written skills.
- Flexible and comfortable with change.
- Must be reliable.
Date of position description: June 2014.