Interlibrary Loan Associate
Position Title: Interlibrary Loan Associate
Department: Staley Library
Supervisor: Instructional Services Coordinator & Research/Instruction Librarian
Incumbent: Ruth Nihiser (since February 1997, on library staff since August 1978)
The Interlibrary Loan Associate is responsible for administrating and implementing the interlibrary borrowing and lending program for Millikin University. Duties include requesting materials through OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) and I-Share (the library’s consortial online catalog), processing requests and notifying patrons upon receipt of materials, and filling requests from other libraries (local, national, and international) for materials that Staley Library owns. (This is a nine-month position).
- Process requests by Millikin patrons for materials held at other libraries.
- Process items received as a result of requests.
- Process materials requested by other libraries.
- Must be familiar with a variety of computer systems and other library resources:
- OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) and its WorldCat, to locate and place requests. Most requests for articles and many requests for books are placed using the OCLC system.
- I-Share. This is a shared catalog of many academic libraries in Illinois. Most book requests are filled through I-Share.
- Staley Library periodical databases for checking citations on requests and to notify patron if requested item is available at Millikin University either in print or in electronic full-text.
- The link resolver product, SFX, to aid in checking for full-text articles within Staley Library databases.
- The Internet, to track down more obscure items requested.
- Must be familiar with alternate methods to request items, such as using CAC (Capital Area Consortium of libraries, mainly health related), ALA (American Library Association) forms and CRL (Center for Research Libraries).
- Alternate methods to send and receive items, including fax, the Illinois Library Delivery System (ILDS), ARIEL, Odyssey, U.S. mail and U.P.S.
- Maintain statistics and other records as needed
- Supervise two student employees.
- Assist at the Circulation Desk, Reference Desk or other areas as assigned.
- Attend regularly scheduled library staff meetings.
- Within parameters of position responsibilities, propose new or changed policies and procedures to accomplish own responsibilities, related operations, and Library Mission.
- Support overall Library operations and services through projects and other duties as appropriate and assigned. Actively supports Library colleagues, Library service goals, and University Mission.
Date of position description: October 9, 2001.
- College degree preferred; two years of college or equivalent is the minimum.
- Work experience in library preferred, and in academic setting desirable.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work well with others and to assist users served by the Staley Library.
- Comfort with varied pace and working independently.
- Experience using library computer databases preferred.
- Timely, meticulous and thorough with multiple details.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written skills important. Service orientation is essential.
- Flexible and comfortable with change; reliable.