Position Title: Interlibrary Loan Specialist
Department: Staley Library
Reports to: Electronic Resources/Technical Services Coordinator
Works Closely with: Library faculty and staff, campus faculty, staff, and students
Directly Supervises: Student assistant
Incumbent: Ruth Nihiser (since February 1997, on library staff since August 1978)
The Interlibrary Loan Specialist is responsible for administrating and implementing the interlibrary borrowing and lending program for Millikin University. Duties include requesting materials through ILLiad (an interlibrary loan system) and I-Share (the library’s consortial online catalog), processing requests and notifying patrons upon receipt of materials, and filling requests from other libraries (local, national, and international) for materials that Staley Library owns.
This position is 10 months full time, and 2 months half time.
- Process requests by Millikin patrons for materials held at other libraries.
- Process items received as a result of requests.
- Process materials requested by other libraries.
- Effectively use a variety of electronic and manual systems to interlibrary loan work:
- I-Share, a shared catalog of many academic libraries in Illinois. Most book requests are filled through I-Share.
- ILLiad, for managing non-I-Share and article requests and delivery.
- ILDS, the in-state Interlibrary Loan Delivery System.
- U.S. mail, U.P.S. and other delivery services.
- e-mail, Odyssey and Article Exchange, for items delivered electronically.
- Staley Library periodical databases for checking citations on requests and to notify patron if requested item is available at Millikin University either in print or in electronic full text.
- The link resolver product, SFX, to aid in checking for full-text articles within Staley Library databases.
- The internet may at times be needed to track down obscure information.
- Must be familiar with alternate methods to request items, such as using CAC (Capital Area Consortium of libraries, mainly health related), ALA (American Library Association) forms and CRL (Center for Research Libraries).
- Maintain familiarity with copyright restrictions.
- Track articles received in order that the library pays appropriate copyright fees.
- Maintain statistics and other records as needed.
- Supervise student employee.
Minium Position Qualifications:
- Assist with circulation, mending, shelf maintenance, or other areas as assigned.
- Attend regularly scheduled library staff meetings.
- Within parameters of position responsibilities, propose new or changed policies and procedures to accomplish own responsibilities, related operations, and Library Mission.
- Support overall Library operations and services through projects and other duties as appropriate and assigned. Actively supports Library colleagues, Library service goals, and University Mission.
- College degree preferred; two years of college or equivalent is the minimum.
- Work experience in library preferred, and in academic setting desirable.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work well with others and to assist users served by the Staley Library.
- Comfort with varied pace and working independently.
- Experience using library computer databases preferred.
- Timely, meticulous and thorough with multiple details.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written skills important. Service orientation is essential.
- Flexible and comfortable with change; reliable.
Date of position description: June 2014.