Periodicals Student Assistant
Position Title: Periodicals Student Assistant
Department: Staley Library
Supervisor: Periodicals Associate
To assist in the processing and checking-in of print periodicals.
- Receive, record in the Voyager Acquisitions/Serials module, prepare for use, and shelve all new issues of print periodicals.
- Route applicable periodical titles to faculty and library staff.
- Identify missing or damaged issues for the Periodicals Associate.
- Assist in the annual shift of periodicals from current year shelving to retrospective shelving area. This includes removal of designated print issues that have limited retention.
- Inventory periodicals holdings, to make sure that materials can be found by library’s users.
- Assist in periodical stack maintenance, such to notify the Periodicals Associate if labels need to be replaced, or if print materials need to be placed in plastic cases.
- Help with other tasks as assigned.
- Be able to work about two hours a day, 5 days a week. Actual hours worked can be flexible as long as it is some time each weekday.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Comfort with using different computer databases.
- Some library knowledge, ability to locate library items in stacks.
- Must be accurate. Accuracy is more important than speed.
- Comfort with varied pace.
Date of position description: July 2011.