|When doing your research, sometimes books are exactly what you need.
Books provide you with comprehensive information about your topic, providing you with an overview, background, and major theories in depth.
Finding books by different authors will often allow you to have many different points of view about the same subject.
Search for books here at Millikin's library in the online catalog.
Books of and on Music:
- Browse the following areas of the library's stacks (third floor) in the following call number ranges:
- M (Music)
- M 3 - 3.3 (Collected Works of Individual Composers)
- M 5 - 1490 (Instrumental Music)
- M 6 - 175.5 (Solo Instruments)
- M 176 (Instrumental Music for Motion Pictures)
- M 177 - 990 (Music for Two or More Solo Instruments)
- M 1000 - 1075 (Orchestra)
- M 1100 - 1160 (String Orchestra)
- M 1200 - 1269 (Band)
- M 1366 (Jazz Ensembles)
- M 1375 - 1420 (Instrumental Music for Children)
- M 1495 - 5000 (Vocal Music)
- M 1497 - 1998 (Secular Vocal Music)
- M 1999 - 2199 (Sacred Vocal Music)
- ML (Literature on Music)
- ML 47 - 54.8 (Librettos. Scenarios)
- ML 159 - 3775 (History and Criticism)
- ML 385 - 429 (Biography)
- ML 430 - 455 (Composition)
- ML 459 - 1380 (Instruments and Instrumental Music)
- ML 1400 - 3275 (Vocal Music)
- ML 3469 - 3541 (Popular Music)
- ML 3544 - 3775 (National Music)
- ML 3800 - 3923 (Philosophy and Physics of Music)
- MT (Music Instruction and Study)
- MT 5 - 5.7 (Music Theory)
- MT 40 - 67 (Composition)
- MT 68 (Improvisation)
- MT 70 - 74 (Instrumentation and Orchestration, band)
- MT 90 - 146 (Analysis and Appreciation of Musical Works)
- MT 170 - 810 (Instrumental Techniques)
- MT 820 - 915 (Singing and Vocal Technique)
- MT 918 - 948 (School Music)
- MT 955 - 956 (Musical Theatre)
Searching for Scores
After doing a search for a keyword from or the title or composer of the score in the Online Catalog, use the format limit on the right of the screen to choose "Music Score."
Searching for Recordings
After doing a search for a keyword from or the title or composer of the score in the Online Catalog, use the format limit on the right of the screen to choose "Music Recording."
Browse by subject in the online catalog:
Sometimes one of the best ways to find books on your topic is to do some subject browsing in the Online catalog.
There are two ways to do this easily:
Do a regular search (either Quick or Advanced) for your topic and find a book that is good for your research.
In the result list from the search, click on the title of the book so that you can the full record of information about it.
After the publication information, there is a section called "Topics".
This list of the topics describes the content of the
book. If one of these subject headings looks useful for your topic,
click on it.
That will bring you to a new list of books we own that are classified with that topic.
In either the Advanced or Quick search, type in the term for your search.
Change the drop down menu next to the search box to Subject.
Click find to see if we own any books classified with that subject.
Possible Subject Headings to use as search terms:
Alternative Rock Music
Contemporary Christian Music
Feminism and Music
Motion Picture Music
Music - History and Criticism
Music - Instruction and Study
Punk Rock Music