Who can borrow from Staley Library?
- Millikin patrons: Borrowing privileges are available to Millikin students, faculty, administration, staff, alumni, trustees, and the family of faculty and trustees. These privileges include loans of Millikin's circulating materials and interlibrary loan services. Family members of faculty and trustees should not use the faculty member's I.D. card. Instead, each family member of 16 years and above wishing to use Staley Library may obtain a complimentary borrower's card.
- I-Share patrons: Reciprocal borrowing privileges are granted at no cost to those holding valid cards from other I-Share libraries. These include patrons of Richland Community College.
- Community patrons: Community borrower cards valid for 1 year will be issued at no cost to those 16 years or older currently attending Walther Theological Seminary, or those 16 years or older holding current, valid cards from the Decatur Public Library. Please bring your 1) current WTS or DPL card, 2) a photo ID, and 3) proof of current address (may be same as photo ID) to apply for a no-cost community borrower card.
- If you do not have a current DPL card or Walther Seminary ID, but are 16 or older and can provide proof of address in Macon County and a photo ID, a community borrower's card is $10/year.
- If you do not have a current DPL card, but are 16 or older and can provide a current high school photo ID for a school within Macon County as well as proof of address, a community borrower's card is $5/year.
- Community patrons may not use interlibrary loan services, which should be handled by the patron's primary service library. A valid card must be presented for all borrowing privileges. Community patrons wishing to use Staley Library computers are not required to have a library card, but must have current photo ID and be prepared to follow computer use policies.
- Other patrons: Please contact your home library to arrange an interlibrary loan request for materials from Staley Library.
If an item you have borrowed is needed (recalled) by another Millikin borrower, your loan period will be shortened and you will be notified of the new due date assigned.
The following table summarizes loan periods and fine policies for Staley Library.
|Item Type||Loan Period||Number Charged||Renewals||Overdue Charge|
|Stack Books, Curr. Lib, Music Scores, Juvenile, & Leisure||4 weeks (16 weeks faculty, graduate students, & JMS Scholars)||
MU: no limit
H.S.:limit 5 items total; no Curr Lib.
Community users - limit 20 items total
Limit 1 for leisure books, Limit 3 for all others (after that, material must be physically returned)
25 cents a day, with a 14 day grace period ($3.75 on fifteenth day).
After 30 days assumed lost and replacement fees & fines are charged.
|Recordings (CDs; LPs)||1 week (16 weeks faculty)||20|
|A-V (VHS & DVDs)||1 week||15|
|Newspapers, Periodicals, Reference||Do not circulate|
|Reserves||2 hr, 4hr library use only; Overnight 1, 3, or 7 days||2 (for MU patrons only)||1 (or NONE if item is in demand) none||See Reserves page for overdue charges.|
Items other than Reserves may be renewed three times, then they must be returned or brought physically to Staley Library for renewal. Renewals may reduced if item is recalled. Staley Library materials and materials loaned through other I-Share member libraries may be renewed either online or in-person:
- You will need to log in to Renew Books in the Library's Online Catalog.
- Under the heading "Checked Out Items," look for the check boxes to the right of each item.
- Click in the boxes next to the items you wish to renew and then click on "Renew Selected Items" button below the list. Be sure to make note of the new due date!
If you have questions or problems regarding renewing library materials online, please call circulation at 6214 from on campus or 217-424-6214 from off campus.
- Bring your Millikin ID card to the circulation desk at Staley Library.
- For interlibrary loan materials:
- Items with yellow slips (I-Share items): Follow same steps as above to renew online or in-person, 3 renewals maximum for print items; no renewals for non-print items. If you are unable to renew your item, call 217-424-3560 for assistance.
- Items with pink slips (OCLC WorldCat/ILLiad items): Most items can be renewed. Bring the item to Staley Library or call 217-424-3560. Please give as much information as possible, including your name, the title of the item, the transaction number, and the original due date.
Why was my renewal request denied?
Renewals may be blocked or denied for a number of reasons, including:
- You have already renewed the item three times (renewal limit is 3).
- The item has been recalled by the library.
- You have unresolved fines in excess of $30.00 ($50.00 for faculty).
- You have 6 or more overdue items on your account.
- You have lost items and/or fine obligations to other libraries for Interlibrary Loan items.
- The item type does not allow for renewal.
You will receive one courtesy reminder and three overdue notices. These notices will be sent via email unless we do not have an email address for you. Overdue notices are courtesy notices - you are responsible for materials you borrow whether you receive notices or not.
- The courtesy reminder is sent out three days before the material is due.
- The first overdue notice is automatically generated ten days after the material becomes overdue.
- The second overdue notice is generated after twenty days overdue. Fines are forgiven during the first twenty days, but once the second overdue notice is generated, fines are due at the rate of $0.25 per day.
- The fines are retroactive, and thus are $5.25 per item on the twenty-first overdue day.
- The assumption is made that if material is not returned within thirty days of falling overdue, it has been lost. Thus, the third and final notice is a Lost Item Billing Notice which reflects a replacement fee.
- We search the stacks in conjunction with sending out the lost book bills, to assure that the items are not in the library already.
- As long as you have materials overdue more than 30 days or outstanding fines in excess of $30.00 ($50.00 for faculty), you will be blocked from borrowing additional material from this or any other I-Share library.
- All borrowing will also be blocked when you have: 25 overdue interlibrary loan items, 3 lost interlibrary loan items, and/or a total of $200 in fines/fees owed to other I-Share libraries.
The standard lost item fees are:
- $50.00 per book replacement fee
- $100.00 per video/DVD replacement fee
- $30.00 per CD/LP/vinyl replacement fee (Note that these replacement charges apply even if only the liner notes are missing.)
- $40.00 per musical score replacement fee (Note that replacement charges apply even if only 1 part is missing.)
- Note: In cases where the true replacement cost of a lost item is substantially more or less than Staley Library's standard lost item fees, the patron may be charged the actual cost to the library to replace the item with a new or like new copy, plus shipping.
The replacement fee reflects not only the library's average out-of-pocket cost for replacing the item, but also the library's costs connected with billing the patron, locating the item, ordering it, cataloging it (including withdrawing the lost item), labeling it, and re-shelving it. After Staley Library receives payment for a lost item, no refunds may be given (even if the item is found at a later date). Payment of the lost item replacement fee and overdue fine is considered acknowledgement on the part of the patron that they have lost the item.
After 60 days past due, replacement costs for lost or damaged materials will be be charged by the library to Millikin accounts. If lost items are returned after 60 days, the replacement fee will be refunded, but overdue fines of $5 per item will still be charged. After a replacement has been purchased, no refund will be issued for replacement charges.
If you have combined outstanding bills of over $30.00 ($50.00 for faculty) at this or any other library, you will be denied borrowing privileges at this and other I-Share libraries until you have cleared up all such obligations. Other I-Share libraries may request Staley Library to suspend a patron's borrowing and interlibrary loan privileges in cases of unresolved fines or fees. Non I-Share libraries may request Staley Library to replace lost or damaged materials; such costs will be billed to the responsible patron.
While faculty do not pay other overdue fines, if materials are allowed to become so overdue that they are billed as lost, faculty members will be charged any applicable lost item replacement fees.
Current students, staff, and faculty: Your fines/fees will be billed to your Millikin account. You may also bring a check, made out to Millikin University to the circulation desk. Please note "library fines" in the notes field.
Alumni, I-Share, and other Non-Millikin borrowers: Please use our online payment site, or send us a check for the amount made out to Millikin University to the following address:
Staley Library, Millikin University
1184 W. Main St.
Decatur, IL 62522
Please also include a note with information about the item you are paying for (title, author, etc.) and, if paying for someone else, the name of the person owing the fine.
Question about fines/fees? Please contact Staley Library at: 217.424.6214, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Your current account information may be viewed online. Staley Library takes care to ensure your account is accurate.
- Items are only checked out to patrons with proper, valid identification (a Millikin University ID, a Staley Library card, other valid I-Share library card, or other photo ID).
- Items will not be checked out to a second party in a first party's name without proper permission.
- Materials are retrieved from the locked book return each morning and from the secured book returns at the Circulation/Reserves desk throughout the day.
- Trained staff members scan each item's unique barcode into our automated database.
- The item is then automatically and immediately removed from your account.
- To ensure accuracy, each item's barcode is scanned a second time, before the item is re-shelved.
Avoid blocks to your account:
- Do not loan items checked out to your account to another party (you will be held responsible for any lost items).
- Return items on time, or renew them if needed.
- Call Staley Library Circulation if you have any questions regarding your account: 217-424-6214.
However, if you believe that you have returned an item still on your account, please read the following:
- Fill out a Claims Returned Form (be sure to include contact information).
- We will search for the item in the library within 48 hours.
- If the item is located, you will be contacted as soon as possible.
If the item is not located upon our initial search:
- Your item will be added to our search list.
- Our staff will search for the item for 3 months.
- You will, in turn, share the responsibility to search for the item among your belongings. (If you locate it, please return the item ASAP)
- We will put a message on your account allowing you to continue use of your library privileges.
- If we locate the item at any time within the 3 months, you will be contacted and we will resolve the issue at that point.
- If the item is NOT located after 3 months of searching, you will be contacted and we can discuss the options we have in resolving the situation.
I loaned that to my friend and they said they returned it!
Lending materials that you have borrowed with your own ID to others is strongly discouraged. The person on whose card the materials are borrowed is held responsible for the items (and for any associated fines or fees accrued) until they are returned. (Faculty and administrators with teaching or departmental assistants, please see below.)
If someone else (such as a teaching or departmental assistant) is to borrow library materials or to place items on and remove items from reserve on your behalf, a proxy borrowing form is needed to protect you. Please fill out the form and send it to the library's circulation department.