The University and Resources
Mission and Vision
MISSION: At Millikin, we prepare students for:
· Professional success;
· Democratic citizenship in a global environment;
· A personal life of meaning and value.
The underpinning of our mission is the offering of an educational experience that integrates the traditional liberal arts functions and the practical arts of the professions. Our students discover and pursue their full potential, personally and professionally, to do well and to do good. Their discovery is theory and practice driven, guided by faculty and staff, within an inclusive and broadly accessible learning community.
VISION: Our vision is to be recognized as a distinctive midwestern university, known for professional programs grounded in and inspired by the liberal arts.
· Where theory, practice, and reflection guide our curriculum.
· Where integrated learning, collaborative learning, and engaged learning dominate our culture.
· Where students, faculty, staff, and administrators are engaged and stimulated.
GOAL: Our single goal is to expand and solidify Millikin’s position as a distinctive midwestern university driven by its mission, stimulated by its vision, and grounded in responsible financial management.
The University recently adopted its current strategic plan: Embracing our Distinctiveness – 2009-2011. The University identified six strategic factors to enable the successful completion of the six goals identified within the rubric of Embracing Our Distinctiveness.
Strategic Enabling Factors
1. Invigorate Institutional Marketing
· Establish and market the Millikin brand to promote University identity and reputation to targeted audiences.
2. Define and Uphold Millikin’s Institutional Values
· Engage the Millikin community in conversations that will ignite and encourage activities and practices that exemplify our commitment to our values.
3. Embrace Evidence Based Decision-Making
· Seek and apply quantitative data and qualitative evidence to develop institutional best practices.
4. Invest in Technology
· Employ continuous planning and resource allocation to match administrative and instructional needs.
5. Effectively and appropriately communicate with our constituencies.
· Exchange information that meets constituent needs, illustrates the value Millikin provides, and encourages engagement with the University.
6. Promote Shared Leadership and Professional Excellence
· Recruit, retain, and fully develop faculty, administrative, and staff leaders who embrace the University’s mission, vision, and commitment to diversity and shared values.
1. Integrate academic program development, co-curricular activities, and facilities planning to further enhance student academic and professional success.
2. Engage the Millikin community in active democratic citizenship.
3. Expand opportunities that enhance exploration of global issues and experiences.
4. Build a commitment within the Millikin community, individually and collectively, to live lives of meaning and value.
5. Grow and steward our resources in support of the mission.
6. Engage and serve external constituents in ways that are mutually beneficial.